🔍 Explore: AlgorithmsUnit 1 – Algorithms and p5 | October 06
🎯 AP Learning Targets
- I explain how computing innovations affect communication, interaction, and cognition.
- I explain how computing has impacted innovations in other fields.
- I explain how programs implement algorithms.
Do Now (In Google Classroom)
Look at this image: What do you think it means?
AP Explore Task
We’re going to take a bit of a break from coding.
From the AP:
AP Explore Guidelines
Computing innovations impact our lives in ways that require considerable study and reflection for us to fully understand them. In this performance task, you will explore a computing innovation of your choice. Your close examination of this computing innovation will deepen your understanding of computer science principles.
You will be provided with 8 hours of class time to develop, complete, and submit the following:
- A computational artifact
- Written responses (2a-2e).
This performance task requires you to select and investigate a computational innovation that:
- has had or has the potential to have significant beneficial and harmful effects on society, economy, or culture;
- consumes, produces, and/or transforms data; and
- raises at least one data storage concern, data privacy concern, or data security concern.
2c. Computing Innovation: Explain at least one beneficial effect and at least one harmful effect the computing innovation has had, or has the potential to have, on society, economy, or culture. (Approximately 250 words)
🔗 For each online source, include the permanent URL. Identify the author, title, source, the date you retrieved the source, and, if possible, the date the reference was written or posted
“Make Algorithms Accountable” by Julia Angwin, The New York Times Op-Ed